Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chorizo Treats

I came home from work, opened my fridge, and realized I still had two rolls of chorizo in there! What in the world was I going to make with this??  Last time I had it I remember it being really spicy, and spice isn't my thing lately, but I don't want to waste any food either! I decided to make something Ive never made before.

I opened the Chorizo, and dumped it into a frying pan. Then I took out one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and set it on the counter to defrost.  While the Chorizo was cooking, I took two slices of bread and soaked them in a bowl of shallow water.  After the Chorizo was fully cooked I squeezed the water out of the bread, and added the bread to the Chorizo.  Then, I unrolled the puff pastry and cut it into three long strips.  I spooned the Chorizo mix onto the puff pastry....


Then I carefully rolled it up, sealing the ends with some milk.  I cut the long strips into 3 pieces and placed them in a glass pan.  Once all 9 were made, I brushed them with some egg and baked at 425 for about 20 mins, and this is what they looked like.... 
Pretty amazing if you ask me! Puffy pastry is so magical, amazing, and simple!

The rest of dinner consisted of Corned Beef, made in the crock pot all day today... with beef broth, potatoes, carrots, onions and spices.  I also made some sweet potato fries with chili powder on them, and roasted brussel sprouts, which were sooo yummy! Roasting them is definitely my new favorite way to eat them! Also pictured is a Cesar salad, which was left untouched, because we had so much other food.  (This is what happens when Pete AND Mikayla go to ski practice!!!)

Someone needs to come over for dinnerrrr!

Chorizo Rolls
1 12 oz Roll of Chorizo, found in fridge section of grocery store
1 roll from a box of Peperidge Farm Puff Pastry
2 slices bread
1 bowl water
2 tbsp milk
1 egg


Cook the Chorizo sausage in a frying pan with a little olive oil.  Drain out excess liquid.  Place 2 slices of bread in water, squeeze out extra liquid.  Add bread to Chorizo in pan, stir until it is all mixed.  Unroll Puff Pastry, and cut into 3 long, thin strips.  Divide Chorizo into 3 equal amounts and spread on pastry.  Roll pastry one at a time, seal with milk.  Cut each pastry roll into 3 sections, so you have 9 rolls.  Place in greased pan and "paint" with egg. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment