Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Taco Pie with Homemade Black Refried Beans

I have wanted Taco Bell for days now, so the other night I took out ground pork from the freezer to make soft tacos. Good idea, right? Well, Pete and I ate tacos from Pancho's Saturday night, so I knew I had to make something different. What could be better than Taco Pie? Its so easy, and I love food with layers, its kinda a win-win.



I had one lb of ground pork which I cooked on top of the stove. Its perfect for tacos because it crumbles easily. I also added 1/2 packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning.


For the beans, I used my own Re fried Black beans.  I used one can of these:

Store bought re fried beans taste good but they have so much garbage added them; one day Pete and I decided to make our own. Easiest thing everrr. Take one can of all-natural black beans, rinse them in a strainer. Dump them in a lil frying pan on med-low heat, and periodically stir. I like to have water close by and keep adding to the beans when they get dry (salsa works too). Presto- they start turning into homemade re fried beans!

Now, the pie...
Once the beans and meat were done I pulled out the rest of the ingredients- one small can of green enchilada sauce, salsa, olives and cheese (i had to use Swiss, its all I had.  I would have used Cheddar or Taco Shredded Cheese, but whatev). Then I began layering. I used a spring form pan (sprayed with PAM) because I had it, but the pie didn't touch the sides anyway so it didn't matter that much. Here's how I constructed this particular pie:
Layer 1
Taco Shell
Taco meat
Salsa
Olives
Layer 2
Taco shell
Beans
Enchilada Sauce
Cheese

Layer 3
Taco Shell
Taco meat
Salsa
Layer 4
Taco Shell
Beans (the rest)
olives
Enchilada Sauce


Layer 5
Taco Shell
Taco Meat (the rest)
Cheese
Enchilada Sauce (the rest)

Bake it at 350, I baked mine for less than 30 minutes because my beans and meat were still hot when I layered them.



After I plopped a big hunk on my plate, I added more jalapenos, sour cream, and hot salsa. I also cooked up some frozen Green Beans for an added veggie. Delicious!!

Ha, I need to work on food presentation... thats never my strong point.  (Who cares what it looks like, as long as it tastes good, right?!)
Taco Pie

1 lb Ground Meat (I prefer ground pork... beef, chicken or turkey work just as well)
1 can Progresso Black beans, made into refried beans (or you can keep them whole)
1 small can Old El Paso Green Enchilada Sauce
1/2 cup Salsa
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
Cheese (I never use a lot, maybe 1/2 cup)
5 soft tortillas (I like to use medium size)
Jalapeno peppers
1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
Assemble, and Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, a layered taco pizza looks so neat and sounds so delicious. Great idea for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT idea!! My mouth is watering :)

    I wanted to invite you to share this recipe (and Others)
    at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays! (http://realsustenance.com/)

    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good, I never thought of making this at home!

    ReplyDelete