Thursday, January 27, 2011

Steak Sammies and Rice Pudding

Yesterday was a cooking/baking night for sure.  Mikayla and I took a looong trip to the grocery store, which resulted in lots and lots of yummy food to be put away, cooked, and eaten :) Since we were absolutely starving by the time we got home, I decided to make a quick dinner.  I first started by roasting cauliflower and broccoli in olive oil, pepper and garlic salt.  While that was going on I popped 3 pots/pans on the stove - In pan 1 I threw in some shredded steak, Pan 2 was sliced onions, peppers and mushrooms, and Pan 3 was the sauce.  I then threw one sandwich thin into the oven with one side loaded with crumbled bleu cheese.  Popped everything together and presto! A yummy Raspberry Bleu cheese Steak Sandwich!! (A lil bit healthier than that Philly cheese steak I've been dreaming of). 


A lil 3-pan action, complete with mini-pink icecream spoon



Raspberry Sauce
Boil all of these ingredients together on top of the stove - although it may taste weird by the spoonful, it was awesome on the Steak Sammie!!

3 tbsp each:
   Raspberry Jam
   Apple Cider Vinegar
   Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp:
   Tomato Paste
   Brown Sugar (obv depending on how sweet you like it)
Salt & Pepper


Since Mikayla has been begging me to make mini-cupcakes with her, I decided last night was the night.  I will post what she did later, because I think it would be fun for her to have her own post :) She is such a proud lil baker, and she loooooves doing it!! If there's one thing I cannot stand its frosting anything, but she likes frosting and decorating and sprinkles and colors and so on. Lets just say she made pretty delicious cakey cupcakes with choc chips and snickers. Mikayla's definitely going to be the baker of the family!



I have had many cravings this pregnancy, although I don't see any of them being odd or weird.  I have been craving rice pudding, and thought it would be amazing to make it using the Silk Almond Milk.  My first thought was to use the Chocolate flavor, but I decided to purchase the Vanilla instead.  I used the recipe on their website, which was soo tasty and full of flavor!! It was delicious... but the consistency was a lil off (says the hubby).   I will have to say next time I make it (which I will totally make again), I will make 10 times as much as the recipe calls for, and make it with more milk, because it was a little thick.  It pretty much made a lil over 2 servings, which Pete and I devoured last night. 



Silk Almond Rice Pudding

2 1/2 cups Silk Almond Milk (I used Vanilla)
1/3 cup White Rice
Salt
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Raisins

Bring Milk, Rice and Salt to a boil (carefully! Don't burn the bottom!!).  Immediately turn heat on low and let simmer for about 25-30 mins.  Take off heat.  In a bowl, whisk egg and one spoonful of Rice pudding together, and pour back into the pot (do this so the egg doesn't scramble when you add it to the hot pudding).  Mix in Syrup, Vanilla and Spices, to taste.  I added about 1/4 cup raisins once I scooped it into my desired container.  Refrigerate.

I will spend my next few hours reading this uplifting story:

About one family's journey through the Salem Witch Trials, and how this 10 yr old girl and her family were falsely accused of being witches back in the day.  True family story, passed on from generation to generation.  I didn't get there yet, but Sarah's mother was one of the first people in Salem to be accused, convicted and hanged (hung?) for being a witch.  Ahh, gotta love these true stories, sometimes you cant believe what others have to live through!









No comments:

Post a Comment