Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lazy Chicken Pot Pie

So, I've eaten well so far on my vacation.  Last night the hubby made me Shrimp Couscous and Brushetta Bread, I was in heaven! ( I really wasn't in the mood to cook, so I'm glad he picked up the slack instead of ordering a pizza). 



This morning my mama made Mikayla and I amazing homemade waffles, which I smothered in blueberries, bananas, pure maple syrup and blueberry syrup... sooo delicious! Thanks mom!



And for dinner, I made a lazy man's pot pie


Pete wanted to make it pretty with the asparagus!

So, here's how it happened: First, you cook one pound of chicken breast in a frying pan.  I loaded the chicken with spices while it was cooking (Garlic Salt, Oregano, Basil, and Pepper)


Then I melted 1/4 cup butter (which is 1/2 a stick) in a pan, added 1/4 cup white wine and then threw in chopped veggies: 2 red potatoes, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, garlic and some mushrooms, and cooked them on the stove 'til they were soft


Make sure they are soft, but not too soft!! Then I mixed in 1/2 cup of flour and 1 tbsp of white sugar (you could prob make it without, but I think it helps the meal taste less floury)


Mix well, then add 4 1/2 cups of water and 3 chicken bullion cubes, and bring the mixture to a boil


Add peas.. I used 1 cup because I like them.  I also add tons of spices here to mask the flour... I just dump in spices, mix and taste.  The sauce will be nice and thick by now, and you can pour it into a pan.  I like to use my casserole dish


For this exact "pot pie" I would bake it covered for 25 mins on 350, uncovered for 5, then add biscuits


I added a can of Pillsbury Biscuits, there were 8 in the can.  Then bake for 15+ mins, until the biscuits are cooked and brown.  I think its important to make sure you put the raw biscuits on top of a hot mixture so ensure they cook underneath.



You're supposed to scoop out the biscuits first then smother them, but I didn't want them to get soggy so I put it on the side.  I also cooked up some asparagus that I picked up while grocery shopping at my moms... thanks again mom! This is such a good comfort food on a lazy day, and its unbelievably easy to make, all you really need to do is prep, chop, bake and serve!

Now its time to finish watching lots and lots of Netflix with my amazing husband and pop some popcorn on the stove (because we don't own a silly microwave)!

Lazy Chicken Pot Pie
1 lb chicken
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white wine
2 red potatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
some 'shrooms
2 cloves garlic
4 1/2 cups water
3 Chicken flavored bullion cubes
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp white sugar
1 cup frozen peas
spices- Basil, Oregano, Garlic Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper, Parsley
1 can Pillsbury Biscuts, Original

No comments:

Post a Comment