Sunday, February 27, 2011

Soup for Colds

Tonight I mustered up the energy to finally cook for my family!! I decided to make French Onion Soup... but not the quick version I usually make.  I actually went to the store specifically for the ingredients for this soup, which is not how I grocery shop... ever.  I did pick up two boxes of this yummy beef stock:


I usually use beef broth, so this was a huge change in the taste of the soup.  This particular French Onion soup was full of flavor, but it was not thick and hearty, so if you like your soup thick this is so not the soup for you!

I started out by heating olive oil in a big soup pot, heating olive oil over medium heat, and adding about 5 sliced onions.  After cooking them for 10 mins, stirring constantly, I added a tspn of sugar to help caramelize them.  I cooked them for 25 mins more and then added garlic.  Next came beef stock, white wine, and 2 bay leaves.


I cooked this and let it boil for about 20 mins more.  While this was cooking I sliced a French Baguette and toasted 8 slices in the oven.  Then I filled up 3 soup bowls and topped them off with a few slices of bread on each one.  I then put fancy shredded mozz cheese on top.  The recipe usually uses fancier cheese, but since I don't smother my food in cheese it doest make a huge difference to me. 


I popped these puppies in the oven and broiled them til the cheese was nice and crispy

Mama, Papa and Baby Soup Bowls
 



On the side we enjoyed some of Pete's tortellini pasta from yesterday, along with some grilled cheese sandwiches.  I made a few different types of grilled cheese, using regular Italian bread as well as the french baguette.  Variety is the spice of life ;)



Grilled Cheese Variety Plate

French Onion Soup

  • 6 large red or yellow onions, sliced.

  • Olive oil

  • 1/2 teaspoon of sugar

  • 2 cloves garlic

  • 8 cups beef stock 

  • 1/2 cup white wine

  • 2 bay leaves

  • Salt and pepper

  • 8 slices of toasted French bread

  • Shredded Cheese, to taste
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment