Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Make-Everything Mondays

First up: School's closing early!! We are getting a major snowstorm of up to (HOPEFULLY) 2 ft of snow!! YAY! Secondly, my breakfast today was a special treat: Dunkin Donuts!! I ordered 2 turkey sausage egg white wake up wraps with a medium hazelnut coffee, with skim milk and sugar:
I loooved it! Dunkin Donuts holds a special place in my heart!

Monday was spent cooking and baking lots!! Up on the Menu:
Lauren's Healthy Chewy Granola Bars
Jenna's Funfetti cupcakes
Shrimp Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
Sausage with Peppers, Mushrooms, and Onions
Roasted Red Potatoes
Tortellini Salad

First, Laurens Granola Bars were sooo amazingly yummy!! I changed the recipe a bit, I ran out of Almond PB, so I had to use 1/2 Almond and 1/2 regular of what the recipe called for.  Afterwards, you really need to follow the directions of not cutting them and trying to sneak a bite before they are set - all the do is crumble (which is awesome granola... but that's not what were going for here).  Okay, they were SUPER AMAZING. 
Mixin' Away
Before the were cut

Next, Mikayla made more cupcakes... this time Funfetti Cupcakes.  We followed the recipe exactly, minus he vanilla beans and we used both a small glass pan and mini-cupcake liners.  Such a more homemade taste/feel than the box Funfetti... but definitely worth making!


Neon Pink Frosting anyone? Anyone?



Messy kitchen... but that's the fun of it...

Next, she needs to work on presentation ;)
 Shrimp Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms is something I usually make for my family when we go camping.  They are actually super easy to make and pop on the camping grill, and they just come out amazing! This time, I took half of a box of chicken stove top stuffing and mixed it with a can of diced tomatoes.  I also cut up the stems to the portabello mushrooms and threw em in the mix.  Then I cooked up some shrimp, chopped them up, and threw them in there too.  Then, using my hands, I squished the stuffing into the mushrooms and put some blobs of fresh mozz cheese on top.  Then I cooked everything for about 20 mins on 350... delish! They are super filling, I could only eat one!



Then I made Sausage, with peppers onions and mushrooms.  I always de-skin and boil my sausage before I make it (unless, once in a while, Im lazy and decide to fry it, then I just cut the skin off).  Seriously, boil it, and watch all the gross stuff just come right out:

Yuck!!

I also like to cut them into slices using kitchen scissors.  I put them in a glass pan with the veggies and some olive oil and baked for about 40 mins, stirring occasionally.  Its such a great meal... and one of those meals you can make a ton of and just leave in the fridge.

I also have a million red potatoes, so I decided to cube them, toss them with olive oil and chili powder, and bake 'em.  I just baked them for a while while the sausages were cookin away.

Tortellini salad is something else I love to make a ton of and just leave in the fridge.  Its so much better in cold pasta salad then any other type of pasta, because it has flavor!! In the pasta bowl went: Sliced black olives, sliced raw zucchini, sliced onions, and a tiny bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar.  I only put in a tiny bit of the three liquids, just to make it moist, and it tasted so wonderful because the dressing wasn't overpowering!!

Some extra shrimp for good luck
That concludes my Make-Everything Monday!













No comments:

Post a Comment