Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Squid Stir Fry

Last night I decided to get a tad bit creative in the kitchen.  See... I was having one of those "What am I going to make for dinner moments"... the moments where I want everything, want to make everything, but really want to make nothing. Please, I'm sure you understand.  I decided on lots of veggies for dinner, because we need to stay healthy! I thought about stir fry, which I always used to eat, but now feel I have to give up my fav stir fry sauce because its probably loaded with chemicals... tears.... and I also didn't have any meat defrosted.  So, I opened up the freezer and saw... squid. 

what... do you not always have frozen squid in your freezer?! Oddballs!

Anyway, I decided to make a nice, healthy, squid stir fry.  First, I cooked up half a pack of Rice Noodles.  I boiled them in a pot of water and let them soak in there for about 10 minutes.  While that was going on, I decided to make my own Soy Sauce, because A) I didn't have any and B) its pretty terrible for you.  I threw in the ingredients and let it "gently boil" in a pot while I made the stir fry.

Into the stir fry went 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2 small zucchinis, 1/2 can water chestnuts, 1/2 red pepper, 1 cup frozen green beans, and I think that's it.  I let it cook in the pan for about 10 minutes with a lil olive oil.  While that was cooking up, I drained the Rice Noodles, put them back into the pot, and added most of the homemade soy sauce so the noodles could soak up the sauce.

Next I got to chopping the squid.  I had the squid tubes and decided to not cut it all into rings, because rings remind me of fried calamari.  So, I cut them length wise, then cut them into smaller pieces. 


Once they were all sliced up I added them to the stir fry and cooked for about 5 more minutes. I wanted to cook them for less, but Pete wanted to be on the safe side and make sure they were cooked cooked.

When it was finished I added it all together and voila! A nice, different, healthy dinner.  On a side note, I would have LOVED to make the soy sauce spicy, but my Mikayla will not eat spicy foods, and I wont make her! I added a lil ground red pepper to the grown ups dishes though. 


Mikayla really enjoyed the "cute lil octopuses"... she is so adorable! Ive never seen anyone get so excited to eat seafood more than this girl (well... Mikayla and I)!

Soy Sauce
1 1/2 cups water
2 beef bullion cubes
4 tspn molasses
4 tspn balsamic vinegar
garlic
pepper

Boil it all together in a pot for about 10 minutes.  Next time I would add ginger and chili peppers for more flava.

Stir Fry
1/2 lb squid, defrosted and cleaned
1 onion
1 carrot
1 cup frozen green beans
2 zucchinis
1/2 red pepper
1/2 can water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
1/2 pack Rice Noodles
Homemade soy sauce

Boil Noodles in water, let soak in water for a few minutes.  Drain and add back to pot.  Add most of the homemade soy sauce, let sit for about 10-15 minutes. Cut all veggies and cook em up in a pan with a lil olive oil.  Cut and add squid, don't overcook!! I wouldn't cook any second longer than 5 minutes once its all together.

Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment